Last Friday was National Gun Awareness Day so there’s no better time than right now to dive into the state of gun violence. Here at OpenInvest, we believe that we can use finance as instruments of change. By sending a message with our investments, average citizens can work to reduce gun violence even when lobbyists and politicians obstruct progress.
The Cold, Hard Stats:
- Data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that on an average day, 93 Americans are killed with guns.
- On average there are nearly 12,000 gun homicides a year in the U.S.
- For every one person killed with guns, two more are injured.
- Nearly two-thirds (62 percent) of firearm deaths in the U.S. are suicides.
- Seven children and teens (age 19 or under) are killed with guns in the U.S. on an average day.
- In an average month, 50 women are shot to death by intimate partners in the U.S.
- America’s gun homicide rate is more than 25 times the average of other high-income countries.
- When a gun is present in a situation of domestic violence, it increases the risk the woman will be killed fivefold.
- A case-control study of 11 cities found that in a domestic violence situation, the perpetrator’s access to a gun increased the odds of the female dying by more than five times. 10
What We Do:
We first started OpenInvest because our founders identified a process for making smarter investments while recognizing the capacity to truly make an impact through finance. Money moves minds and there’s no issue where money is more entrenched than the weapons manufacturing industry.
So how do we make sure your investments aren’t funding the weapons industries? First, we work closely with our data partners to identify how much of a company’s revenue comes from the sales of weapons and ammunition. When you select this screen, OpenInvest divests you from all companies who derive more than 5% of their revenue from the sales of weapons or ammunition.
Learn more about our causes here.